Testing Information
Finding a Job
Veterans Information
Job Seekers with Disabilities Information

Applying for a Job FAQs

Collapse All
Expand All
Which positions are filled through LA Careers?

Most positions within the Classified service with the State of Louisiana are filled through LA Careers although a few Louisiana state agencies, including some colleges and universities, host their own e-recruitment websites (LSU System, LSU Ag Center, LSU-Alexandria, LSU-Eunice, LSU-Shreveport, LSU-Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Nicholls State University, and Southeastern LA University). Some types of actions are exempt from posting as outlined in Civil Service Rule 22.3 (b); however, the majority of vacancies are filled after posting.

How do I learn about vacancies?

View job postings on the Internet at Look for Jobs or Fill out a Job Interest Card HERE.   Select the categories for jobs you are interested in. Then fill out the contact information to be informed of future job openings for that category of jobs via email.

What is a “Job Interest Card?”

You can fill out a “Job Interest Card” if you would like to be notified by email when jobs that meet your needs are posted on LA Careers.   You can sign up for “Job Interest Cards” HERE.

How do I apply for a position? Where do I submit my application?

You can apply online at Louisiana's Job Site.   View our "User Guide for First Time Applicants" for more information on submitting an application.   Please be sure to follow the instructions carefully.

Is the online application my only option?

While we urge candidates to submit their applications online, paper applications are allowed in those instances when an applicant is unable to submit the application electronically.   The paper application is provided HERE and information about submitting paper applications to an agency (e.g., by mail, by fax, etc.) may be found in the individual job postings.  Please note: Paper applications will be considered INCOMPLETE should the posting have supplemental questions which were not printed, completed and submitted with the application.

Can I just submit a resume rather than filling out an application form?

No. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing all relevant sections of the application.

What if I have technical problems submitting my application?

You may call (225) 219-9390 or (225) 925-1911 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm for assistance.

Can I give my application packet directly to a hiring manager rather than submitting it to a posting?

No. Your application must be received by the human resources office posting the vacancy no later than the closing date and time of the recruitment or if mailed, postmarked by the posting closing date.

How long will vacancies be open to apply?

Most vacancies will be open a minimum of five (5) calendar days. The hiring manager can also select a longer period of time. Some postings, for frequently filled jobs, are open continuously to application. Check the job posting for the deadline.

What are minimum qualification requirements?

Minimum qualifications are the basic qualities (e.g., education, experience, licensure, etc.) that a candidate is required to possess in order to perform a job. The minimum qualifications for classified state jobs are established by State Civil Service in conjunction with agencies using the jobs. A candidate must meet these qualification requirements before being appointed. Please refer to Chapter 22, Rule 22.5 for more information on minimum qualifications.

How should I complete my application to be sure that I’ll meet the minimum qualification requirements?

While it is acceptable to highlight certain duties or experience that are relevant to a particular vacancy, your application should not change dramatically from one job announcement to another. Your title, dates of employment, hours worked per week, employer, supervisor and number of people you supervised as well as overall description of work should be accurate and remain consistent over time. Drastic changes raise red flags and may cause your records to be sent for investigation with possible consequences including but not limited to being ruled ineligible for consideration for a particular vacancy, removal from a position if hired, or possibly being barred from State classified employment for a period of time.

How is my work experience credited?

Work experience is credited on a full-time or part-time basis. Candidates are credited for full-time experience when they work at least 32 hour per week or more. Any work experience less than 32 hours per week is pro-rated based on a 40 hour work week. Once full-time experience is given, candidates will not be given extra credit for working more than 40 hours per week.

What does “professional” experience mean?

For jobs in State service, only those jobs with an EEO code of PR (professional) or OA (officials and administrators) are professional level. For jobs outside of state service, jobs with comparable duties to jobs in State service that are considered professional will also be considered professional. Enlisted military experience is credited with professional experience when an individual is ranked E-5 or above. Senior Non-Commissioned Officers, Warrant Officers and Commissioned Officers are also credited with professional experience.

How is my college or graduate education evaluated?

All college hours and degrees granted by a college or university in the United States must be conferred by a regionally accredited institution to be accepted. You should be prepared to submit an official copy of your transcript to Human Resources if you are selected for hire. Unofficial transcripts are sometimes accepted by agencies at the application phase of the process. You should check the supplemental information of each posting to determine each agency’s requirements regarding transcripts.

How do I know whether or not my U.S. college degree was conferred by an accredited institution?

Links to each of the six regional accrediting bodies are provided HERE.

My degree is from a foreign institution. How do I know if it will be accepted?

You will need to get your coursework or degree evaluated by a service that is a current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Member organizations can be found HERE. The evaluation report should be submitted with your application.